Sunday 20 May 2007

Why I love my bike

It's been a while, well over a month since my last post, and I would have racked my brains over a decent excuse, but I havn't found one....


So, in the last month I started a new job at British Airways Holidays after a long spell at Neilson and it's been a bit of a culture shock, with lots of new stuff to learn and lots of names to learn, but happily it's all going nicely.


It feels like we're into the summer now and we seem to be out of the evil blip of crap weather we've had over the last couple of weeks and I'm now out on my bike again on a fairly regular basis which is all good. It always amazes me the restorative powers of getting on a bike and going for a spin for a couple of hours - I come home some nights in less than a good mood (caused by the general rubbishness of trains/commuting) and my girlfriend simply points at my bike and tells me to go riding until I've cheered up.


And it works. I'm not a fan of exercise particuarly in that I don't crave lungbursting climbs and burning legs, but more of the fact that riding my bike is something I can do within 30 seconds of coming home (change into shorts, t-shirt, helmet, out of door) with the minimum of faff. I can go alone and listen to some tunes, I can meet friends and sit in pubs and not do too much time in the saddle at all. The versatility makes it one of the coolest things I have.....


I know I'm never going to compete on a bike because I like drinking beer too much, don't have the balls to go as fast as the bigs boys, and I don't llike pain, but the more I do it, all my faults go to make it an even better experience because the concentration it takes for a shakey rider like myself to stay upright cancels out all the bits going round in my head that pissed me off, and by the time I get home, I've forgotten about them completely (aided slightly by the aforementioned beer).


My bike: singlehandedly putting me in a good mood, saving the planet, and keeping me avec girlfriend. Jolly good.


Image courtesy of Clive "I got this picture published in a proper book" Andrews. To view more of Clives work, have a look at his Flickr page

1 comment:

Clive Andrews said...

But Jim - it's not even your bike. It's Andy's...